In recognition of the importance of chronic disease management and the impact that it has on health care expenses and outcomes, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has started paying monthly reimbursements for chronic care management (CCM) services. Released on January 1st 2015, CPT code 99490 pays approximately $42 per month to providers who deliver 20+ minutes of non-face-to-face care management services to eligible Medicare beneficiaries with 2 or more chronic conditions. As quoted by the New England Journal of Medicine, “A physician caring for 200 qualifying patients could see additional revenue of roughly $100,000 annually.” The Final Rule of the 2015 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule included the new CPT 99490, defined as:
“Chronic care management services, at least 20 minutes of clinical staff time directed by a physician or other qualified health care professional, per calendar month, with the following required elements; multiple (two or more) chronic conditions expected to last at least 12 months, or until the death of the patient; chronic conditions place the patient at significant risk of death, acute exacerbation/decompensation, or functional decline; comprehensive care plan established, implemented, revised, or monitored.”
When you choose Medical Office Force you get services that include:
• Medicare’s requirements for Chronic Care Management (CPT code 99490, 99487, 99489, and G0506).
• Support your efforts with Annual Wellness Visits and Transitional Care Management.
• Prepare all sizes of healthcare organizations for the shift from fee-for-service to value-based healthcare.
Examples of Chronic Conditions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Alzheimer’s Disease & Related Dementia
• Arthritis (Osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid)
• Atrial Fibrillation
• Autism Spectrum Disorders
• Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
• Heart Failure
• Ischemic Heart Disease